HealthforAnimals is a non-profit, non-governmental organization representing companies and industry associations from both developed and developing countries.
HealthforAnimals represents the animal health sector: manufacturers of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and other animal health products throughout the world, as well as the associations that represent companies at national and regional levels (referred to as Members).
The animal health industry provides value to society by protecting animals and as a consequence, humans, from diseases. Our products help keep pets and food-producing animals healthy. The public health benefits we bring include safer and more secure food supplies, more efficient production for increased food supply, improved sustainability, and prevention of the transmission of zoonotic diseases.
HealthforAnimals is led by Executive Director Carel du Marchie Sarvaas and is headed up by President George Heidgerken, Global Head of Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health GmbH.
HealthforAnimals is an international non-profit organisation registered under Belgian law based in Brussels, Belgium.
Why does HealthforAnimals exist?
- To foster a greater understanding of animal health;
- To promote a predictable, science-based regulatory environment that facilitates the supply of innovative, quality products into a competitive market place. These products contribute to the supply of safe, healthy food, and to high standards of health and welfare for animals and people.
What does HealthforAnimals do?
- Act as a unified global industry voice in dialogue with major international bodies (OIE, FAO, WHO, Codex, WTO, etc.), governments, animal health stakeholders, food industry partners and consumers.
- Encourage and assist the development of predictable science-based regulatory processes and standards where authorisation and approval to market medicines is firmly rooted in a thorough risk-benefit analysis.
- Promote international harmonisation of testing requirements for animal health products to facilitate the availability and delivery of new and innovative products worldwide.
- Act as a source of information on the benefits of animal health products for animal health and welfare, food and safety and public health.
- Actively promote the value of research-based medicines developed to the highest standards and authorised according to the regulatory criteria of quality, safety and efficacy.
- Ensure the availability of all classes of veterinary medicines to the benefit of animal health and welfare, and promote their responsible use.
- Provide expertise on emerging diseases and fulfil its role as part of the solution to control these diseases in animals.